Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Almost Churro

I can still remember my first encounter with the beloved churro, it was one of my family's vacations to Disneyland and I still remember instantly loving every bite of it. I had many other encounters with the churro once in Spain where they were dipped into chocolate and then on several occasions I made them somewhat successfully for fiestas in my Spanish classes back in high school. In case you were wondering a churro is a Spanish doughnut, which is usually in the form of a cylinder type shape that has ridges. The dough is fried and then sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.Sometimes I find myself wanting something churro like, but I am in no way up for making the dough and then wasting all that oil to fry them. Lets not forget to reiterate here the oil and frying part that is not super healthy and occasionally eating the full on real churro or anything fried is okay, but I really can't do that every time I'm craving the cinnamony goodness of a churro.

For this exact reason I invented the "lighter" much easier to make version of the churro. All it requires is some simple flour tortillas, cinnamon, sugar, a little time in the oven and viola you get the crispiness that you'd find in the fried version without the excess fat calories. And the inside is filled with the warm cinnamon sugar that becomes slightly melted and tastes oh so good in every bite. Mmm.

Lighter Churro

Ingredients:
Flour tortillas (I use 6 inch tortillas)
Cinnamon (amount depends on size of tortilla)
Sugar (amount depends)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon onto the tortilla taking the back of a spoon to incorporate them together
3. Roll up the tortilla and place into a baking dish/cookie sheet with the flap side down to prevent it from unrolling
4. Bake until slightly crisp on ends and lightly browned
5. Let stand for 2 minutes and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment