Monday, March 8, 2010

Roasted Chickpeas

A good friend told me I really needed to try roasting chickpeas, that they would be like candy to me. I was all excited to try this out and for one reason or another I became sidetracked by other things and never got around to it. Fast forward a few months and here I am finally getting around to making them. For some reason I didn't think this would be a really common thing to do, but I told the girl I work with that I was going to make these and she instantly began raving about them, so I was very confident that I would love these.

What makes these so perfect is that they can be a perfect healthy snack. They're packed full of protein and plenty of fiber as well as being low in fat so you really can't go with these. Plus there are so many options on how to season these. I personally like to make them a little on the spicy side with either chili powder or cayenne pepper.

Originally when I was checking some directions on how to make these they said to coat the chickpeas in olive oil and then add salt (only if you're not using canned), garlic powder, and seasoning and then bake. This seems like a good idea, but I found out from a few reviews that I read that this starts out well, but by the next day the chickpeas are soggy....So I'm dry roasting my chickpeas. This means I'm roasting them without adding olive oil or any seasoning and then when they come out of the oven I sprinkle them with my seasoning. Doing it this way means I completely omit the olive oil and avoid the possibility that they become soggy.

Now if I can only make sure to stop munching on them so that I can take them as a snack to work, we'll see how that one goes.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I haven't tried roasting chickpeas, but I have toasted them on the stove after seeing Rachel Ray do it once. You just toast them over medium heat until they're dry and warm, then toss with a little olive oil and paprika... delicioso!

    ReplyDelete