Sunday, February 28, 2010

Stew


The thought of stew makes my mouth water, even more so if it is a nice cold day much like the ones we've been having around here lately. So on days like that there's nothing better than curling up to dinner with a piping hot bowl of stew that has filled your place with its delicious aroma after simmering away on the stove. Although I think it is nice to make this dish on a day when you can let it actually simmer away for a few hours, this isn't a necessity and I actually made this when I got home from classes one evening and it didn't take too long to be ready.
This recipe comes from my mom, though I had to tweak it a little because I was lacking a couple of things on the ingredient list, and I have no idea where she got the recipe from maybe my grandma. I do remember eating this as a kid, but I was picky about which parts I liked best so I would first eat out all the carrots, then the meat, and of course save the best part for last the potatoes. Mmm..

As you can see this stew really cooks down, so don't worry if you think it looks like a lot of liquid at first just bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for a bit (about 20-30 minutes or longer if you have time) and it will be perfect for eating in no time.

Here is my usual warning when it comes to cooking, I feel the herbs and spices are more to your taste preference, I didn't have some of the ingredients so I omitted them and noted this in the ingredient list. Also, I posted the original recipe I cut it down when I made my stew and it still fed me for 2 days.

Ingredients:
1 tbs Olive oil
2 tbs Butter (I omitted this)
Stew meat
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
2 stalks Celery, chopped
1/2 Bell pepper, chopped
3-4 Carrots, cut into medium rounds
3 Potatoes, chopped into large pieces
Italian herbs
Cayenne pepper
Paprika (didn't have so left it out)
Salt
Pepper
1 tbs Tomato paste or ketchup (I had neither so omitted this)
4 cups Water
4 Bullion cubes


Directions:
1. Melt butter & olive oil, add stew meat and brown it
2. Add onion, garlic, celery, and herbs and saute on high heat
3, Add carrots and bell pepper and get them cooking
4, Next add the tomato paste or ketchup, water, bullion cubes, and potatoes
5. Bring up to a boil and then turn heat to between medium and medium low. Allow to simmer until liquid has reduced.

Note: It is nice to sometimes serve this with croutons on top, even better (well okay healthier) if you make your own croutons and trust me it isn't difficult at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment