Wednesday, November 25, 2009

California Crepe

There is a restaurant in the town I attended undergrad that is a local favorite where during the lunch hours or the weekend you could easily find the line to order practically out the door. This restaurant was one of my favorites in Davis and I find myself, here in St. Louis, craving my favorite dish from there now and then. So, I was feeling somewhat adventurous this week and decided to recreated Crepeville's California Crepe, mmmm. Now don't get me wrong there were many menu items on the menu from crepes that were entrees to dessert crepes, other breakfast dishes, salads, sandwiches, and pastas and they were all supposed to be good; I would even enjoy the Mediterrean Crepe from time to time, was told that the Eggs Benedict were excellent, and my best friend swore by the Country Scramble (scrambled eggs, with melted cheese, and apple sausage), but I would always nevertheless return to the deliciousness of the California Crepe.

Making this was truly an adventure for me considering I had never even made crepes before, but I had heard it was easy and was up for the challenge. I am proud to say that my first crepe, although not perfectly round, came out very nicely and didn't even stick to the bottom of the pan. In fact they all came out very easily and my biggest fear of trying to flip them turned out to be a piece of cake too. However, I will say that the next time I make these, which I'm thinking will be very soon, I will attempt to make them even thinner than I got these to be.
So, by now you're probably wondering what did I fill my crepe with to make it the California Crepe, well I'll admit right away that my crepe was not a perfect replication of the one that I would get at Crepeville. The California Crepe at Crepeville is filled with onion, spinach, avocado, sun-dried tomato pesto, and Provolone cheese. I couldn't find sun-dried tomato pesto and if I did I'm not sure I'd want to pay the price for it, I used frozen spinach instead of fresh, and instead of using Provolone cheese I just used the Monterey Jack cheese that I had on hand. I also made my version of Crepeville's House Potatoes by cubing red potatoes boiling until tender and then cooking them with minced garlic and melted butter.

The beauty of a crepe is that you can fill it with whatever you want and make it appropriate for any meal of the day.

Basic Crepe Recipe
From: Allrecipes

Ingredients
1 c All-purpose flour
2 Eggs
1/2 c Milk
1/2 c Water
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Butter, melted

Directions
1) In mixing bowl wisk together four and eggs, gradually add in the milk and then water, stirring to combine
2) Add the salt and butter and mix until smooth
3) Heat lightly oiled pan over medium heat
4) Scoop batter onto the pan and tilt pan in a circular motion so batter evenly coats the surface
5) Cook approx. 2 minutes on one side (or until light brown), loosen crepe with spatual and flip to cook other side
6) Fill with your choice of ingredients and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment