Sunday, November 22, 2009

Salmon Tacos



I found myself with some salmon in my freezer and feeling creative I decided to try my hand at making fish tacos. I've only recently started eating fish, so I haven't had a lot of experience making it, but I do enjoy eating it in a variety of ways. Before I get into the actual recipe I should point out that salmon and fish in general is very healthy for you. Fish is full of heart healthy omega-3 fat, which helps to decrease inflammation. What that means is that it helps to prevent heart disease and that is something that everyone should be working to prevent. Okay, now to stop going on about the health benefits of fish and move onto the actual meal I made.

I seasoned the salmon with chili powder, cumin, and lemon juice and then baked it. To make the tacos I flaked the baked salmon and put it into a corn tortilla with shredded lettuce and jack cheese. To go along with the tacos I also made black beans with garlic and onion and seasoned with chili powder, pepper, and cumin.
I have to say for my first try with these they were delicious. The salmon was cooked nicely and you could taste the mixture of spices with the hint of lemon. I actually think the corn tortillas were a nice complement to them and happy that I had those instead of the usual flour ones.Salmon Tacos

Ingredients:
Salmon
1/2 Lemon
1 1/2 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Cumin
Shredded lettuce
Corn tortillas
Jack cheese, grated

Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Put salmon in a baking dish and squeeze the fresh lemon over it and sprinkle with chili powder and cumin

2) Cook for 15 minutes
3) Let cool for a few minutes and then use a fork to flake it into chunks
4) Warm corn tortillas, so they won't break
5) Assemble the tacos by placing shredded lettuce, and salmon in the corn tortilla and sprinkle with jack cheese
6) Serve with black beans (these could be put into the taco too) or any other side of your choice

No comments:

Post a Comment