Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mint Chocolate Delights

I was so excited when I stumbled upon these festive morsals at Schnucks, the bag is a mix of dark chocolate chips and mint chips. An excellent flavor combination, reminding me of mint chip ice cream. Right away I knew exactly what cookie recipe I would use for them and couldn't wait to get around to baking these.Fast forward a couple of weeks and I'm ready to whip up this cookie recipe. Now here's the thing I knew exactly how I wanted and was expecting these cookies to come out. They were suppose to be on the thinner side and nice and chewy. When I took these out of the oven they were looking surprisingly fluffy and not as spread out as I was hoping. That's when it hit me I had meant to use the Reese's Chewy Chocolate Cookie recipe and replace the peanut butter chips for my dark chocolate and mint chips. Instead, I had essentially made the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe with the addition of cocoa powder in it. Were these cookies what I was expecting? No. Were they bad? No. Would I use my intended recipe for them instead next time? Yes.



With that being said, the recipe that I did end up making was very cake like. The flavor was very nice, with a good mix of chocolate from the cocoa powder and the dark choclate chips and a delicious hint of mint throughout. The mint chips definitely did not overpower this cookie.


Mint Chocolate Delights
Adapted from: Nestle Toll House

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
2/3 cup sugar 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) dark chocolate and mint chips


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until creamy
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
4. Add baking soda and salt and mix in
5. Mix in flower one cup at a time until just mixed in, then add the cocoa powder and mix in
6. Stire in the dark chocolate and mint chips
7. Drop onto ungreased baking sheets and bake for 11 to 13 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment