Monday, December 7, 2009

Restaurant Review: Olympia Kebob House & Taverna

I know that I haven't written anything on here for quite some time, but things have been hectic to say the least. With my first semester of grad school coming to an end along with the prospect of finals ahead of me and not to mention my small computer disaster there hasn't been much free time for me. I promise though that I have a whole bunch of things that I've been accumulating to post on.

I am so happy to say that I have finally had my first experience with Greek food and it was an amazing one to say the least. If you haven't tried it yet you definitely need to at least once in your lifetime. I was taken to the Olympia Kebob House and Taverna, which is touted as one of the best Greek food places in St. Louis. The atmosphere of the restaurant was casual and extremely friendly. The staff was nice and our waiter with the handlebar mustache was very energetic.
The first dish that I got to try here was the Saganoki. Saganoki is fried feta cheese, but what makes this dish so cool is that at your table it has brandy poured over it and then the cheese is lit on fire with a shout of "Opa" from the waiter and to finish it off lemon is squeezed over the cheese. It is hard to actually describe this dish besides saying that it is very good, but hard to consume large quantities of it at one time. An interesting thing to note is that we must have started a trend because once we ordered it everyone else in the restaurant decided it would be a good idea to order it too.

As for my main dish that night I tried the Moussaka. Again I was not disappointed at all by this dish. Moussaka is largely made with sauteed eggplant and has a bechemal sauce. I actually cannot remember now, but there may have been some feta in it too. When this is served to you it looks like a large puff pastry muffin filled with the eggplant mixture. It was very delicious and so big that it was impossible for me to finish.

When I make it back to this restaurant I want to try their Gyros, which I hear are fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment